Parents begin to collect the dowry for their baby long before his appearance, trying to provide him with everything he needs. Particular attention is paid to the sleeping place of the child. Each mother tries to purchase everything of the highest quality and most convenient for her baby. Inevitably, future parents will be faced with the question: is a pillow needed in the crib and what should it be?
Not long ago, pediatricians were against newborn pillows for at least the first 5-6 months. Now the market is replete with various models of orthopedic products, including those intended for babies from 0 months. Let’s try to figure out: in what cases the product needs a baby, what it should be, how to sleep properly on an orthopedic pillow.
Which model to choose
It is forbidden to put a regular pillow under the baby’s head. It has an extremely negative effect on the spine and neck of the baby. In addition, there are a number of other reasons why this should not be done:
- The baby can roll over in a dream and bury his nose in the pillow, which can lead to suffocation.
- An incorrect head position is the cause of scoliosis.
- The filler may cause allergies in the child.
An orthopedic pillow for babies is able to adapt to the anatomical features of the baby and have a positive effect on health:
- Normalizes muscle tone.
- Keeps the cervical spine.
- Develops the correct shape of the skull.
- When using a pillow, there is no need to wear a cap.
- Maintains the optimal temperature for the baby.
- Long service life.
But even taking into account all the advantages of these products, you should consult with your pediatrician before buying. He will help you make the right choice.
Types of orthopedic pillows
All orthopedic pillows can be roughly divided into four groups:
- Classic. Supports the head and neck. Depending on the position during sleep, rectangular pillows are chosen, in the form of a roller with a recess under the shoulder, butterfly pillows.
- Compact orthopedic pillows in the shape of a horseshoe have been developed to relieve the burden on the cervical spine while traveling.
- To relieve tension from the lumbar spine, lumbar orthopedic pillows are designed. This is an indispensable thing for drivers, office workers who sit for a long time.
- Wedge-shaped pillows are used to improve blood circulation and lymph drainage. They are especially useful for varicose veins and gout.
Orthopedic pillow – will help you sleep and feel refreshed after sleep. And since we spend a third of our lives in a dream, it is better that the orthopedic pillow is always at hand, or rather under the head!
How to choose the right one
For the manufacture of products, there are certain standards that correspond to the quality of the goods. The main factors when choosing should be:
- thermal insulation;
- wear resistance.
Do not neglect any of the listed characteristics.
It should be remembered that a nursing pillow and an orthopedic pillow are completely different things that have different purposes.
When choosing the right model, pay attention to how many centimeters the roller height reaches. It should be equal to your baby’s shoulder.
Orthopedic chair seat cushion
With prolonged sitting, the load on the spine is increased – the muscle corset is weakened, which leads to displacement of the vertebrae, pain appears, osteochondrosis develops and posture is bent. In addition, blood circulation in the pelvic organs is impaired, which contributes to the development of hemorrhoids, constipation and diseases of the genitourinary system.
An orthopedic seating cushion is a chair pad. The product gives the seat the necessary rigidity for the spine to take the correct healthy position. The correct shape and elastic filler of such a device contribute to an even distribution of the load on the spine, prevent pinching of nerve endings and improve blood circulation. Sitting on such models of orthopedic pillows relieves the pelvic organs and reduces pressure on the coccyx.
Varieties of pillows
There are a large number of various models of anatomical pillows on the market today. They differ in color, size, thickness. Each in its own way affects the child’s body. Let’s take a look at some of them.
- “Butterfly”. It is recommended for “crankshaft” . It supports the muscles of the cervical spine well and regulates the temperature that is comfortable for the baby. It features a small recess in the headrest, which provides the desired head position and correctly shapes the cervical region and skull. You can use them from the 28th birthday for two years. When choosing, give preference to a latex product – this is a hypoallergenic material.
- “Positioner”. The model is made in the form of two rollers, which are connected by a tape. Suitable for children of all ages. Due to the Velcro, it is possible to adjust the distance between the rollers . The model was developed for premature and debilitated infants who are at risk of developing pathology of the musculoskeletal system. Maintains the correct body position, reducing stress on the spine and preventing it from deforming. By choosing the right size, you will not restrict the movement of your child’s arms and legs.
- Inclined. It looks like a regular pillow, but has a fixed slope of 30 degrees. Suitable for healthy children. It fixes the baby’s body well in an elevated position. Make sure the material is non-slip . Use is allowed from the first days of a baby’s life.
- Anti-suffocating. Even the name itself can cause unpleasant thoughts in any person. This pillow is made in order to provide a constant flow of air to the child. It is covered with a cotton cover and is comfortable to sleep in.
- For swimming. Made of waterproof material. It has the shape of a donut with a hole in the middle of the item. It is used to fix the baby’s head while bathing.
- Into the stroller. Protects the baby’s head from jolts while the stroller is moving. Locks the head and upper body in a slightly elevated position. Elastic, tough and short.
Orthopedic pillows – why should you get one?
It seems to many that orthopedic pillows are a solution intended only for people suffering from various types of diseases and problems with the spine. Of course this is true, but not entirely. These accessories are suitable for everyone who wants to improve the quality and comfort of their stay.
How do orthopedic pillows affect healthy sleep?
First, by promoting the natural curvature of the cervical spine, they significantly reduce the load on the intervertebral discs. This allows the muscles and ligaments to relax. What’s more, special versions of the pillows can relieve gastroesophageal reflux and overcome snoring problems. However, in order for them to fulfill their role well, it is imperative that they are selected based on your body’s anatomy and that you use them skillfully. Otherwise, they can do much more harm than good.
How to sleep on an orthopedic pillow in different positions?
Sleeping on an orthopedic pillow is extremely easy and pleasant. However, if this is your first time with this, remember some rules that will make it much easier for you to use this accessory correctly. The most important of these is the correct positioning of the pillow. How should it look like? First of all, remember that the pillow should support your cervical spine, not your head. Therefore, its correct position depends on the position that you usually take during rest.
If you prefer to sleep on your back, place the lower side of the pillow under your head. However, if you fall asleep on your side, it will be better if you put it the other way around – on the side with a higher height towards the body. This allows the roll to take up the free space between your head and neck, allowing you to relax your muscles as much as possible, which means you can make the most of your sleep.
Get used to the dedicated pillow profile
Sometimes it happens that, despite the purchase of an orthopedic pillow and its correct positioning on the bed, back problems still persist. On the contrary, neck pains are still felt. Why is this happening? Well, such a situation may arise during the initial period of using a new accessory, when you are not used to the changed conditions.
On a regular, downy pillow, when you sleep, your body is in the position you like best. The situation is slightly different with orthopedic pillows. It forces the body to assume a healthy, correct posture. For this reason, his reaction may be discomfort and mild pain in the neck or spine.
What to do in such a situation: if you notice the above symptoms in your case, do not be afraid. Your body will get used to the changes within a maximum of 14 days. Over time, you will experience a noticeably higher relaxation comfort.
Reviews of parents and doctors
I decided to share my feedback on the use of the anatomical pad. I don’t understand parents who think that they are useless and unnecessary. We started using the pillow since 5 months. When I put the child on it, the head fell exactly into the intended recess . The daughter is comfortable and comfortable. She really enjoys sleeping on it. We use it both day and night. We have been using it for a month now, there are no complaints about the product.
The child’s head was uneven; after giving birth, he lay in the hospital. The pillow even helped us a lot. We slept on it for a month, and the head became level again.
I have two children and both grew up without pillows. For use, readings are required. I am an orthopedist myself, so I see no indications for use.
Surveys of parents and doctors suggest that pillows are not necessary for babies without pathologies. But some kids just can’t do without it.
Memory foam orthopedic pillow
The classic version of such an orthopedic pillow is a rectangle. The product has two elevations at the edges and a depression in the center. The most popular filler for such a model is modified polyurethane foam. With its help, the pillow remembers the shape of the human body.
In a dream, a person with a pillow with a memory effect feels natural. The product independently adjusts to all the features of the owner’s body. Thus, the blood supply to the head is normalized and the muscles of the shoulder girdle are relieved.
Our body receives a number of benefits:
- improvement of complexion;
- disappearance of bruises and swelling under the eyes;
- healthy sleep without insomnia;
- lack of morning headaches.
Good to know
- When buying an orthopedic pillow, opt for trusted manufacturers and ask the seller for a quality certificate.
- Purchase goods for children in specialized stores to avoid counterfeiting.
- When choosing, consider the age, size of the baby’s head. First of all, the pillow should be comfortable.
Only a properly selected model will provide comfort and convenience to your child and will take care of the correct development of the spine, cervical spine and baby’s skull.
Originally posted 2018-01-28 09:26:58.
Choosing the right orthopedic pillow – what to remember?
If you put the pillow correctly and waited a dozen or so days, and the pain in the neck and spine still persists, the problem may be different. In this situation, its sources should be considered in the wrong selection of orthopedic pillows. How to choose the right medical headrest?
Buying orthopedic pillows is not that easy. Unlike standard counterparts, they are not universal. This means that not every type will work for everyone. On the contrary, an orthopedic pillow must be closely adapted to the user’s anatomy. The most important selection criterion is its height.
It is assumed that people with a small physique should choose a low pillow, about 10-12 cm high. For people with a large height and weight, in turn, the 12-14 cm model is better suited.
Where to find the best orthopedic sleep pillow?
The online pharmacy 24farmacia has different options for orthopedic pillows. In our assortment there are models for the neck, head and back, you can also find an orthopedic pillow for your baby. To order, add the product you like to the basket and place your order online or call 8 (391) 2911 555.
Delivery is carried out to the network “Provincial pharmacies” or to your door. Courier delivery is carried out on weekdays from 10:00 to 23:00 and on weekends from 10:00 to 24:00 only in the city of Krasnoyarsk. The order can be paid online or at the place of receipt of the order using a bank card.
What is the memory effect?
Bedding with memory effect is pillows and mattresses, inside of which there is an artificial filling “memory” (“memory foam”, “memoryform” – different manufacturers may call this material pi differently). The structure of the “memory” is foamed, which allows the filler to be elastic and resilient. Under the weight of a person, the surface bends, but only where there is weight. This provides reliable support for the neck muscles that do not flex during sleep.
Why is the effect called “memory”? Let’s do an experiment: we will slightly press on the pillow for 1-2 minutes. Remove your hand. You see, the bulge does not begin to straighten out immediately, but gradually. Now move your hand to another place. There are no bumps on the pillow, even taking into account the previous bulge that has not yet expanded. Likewise, when you change the position of your head during sleep, the pillow wraps your neck softly and comfortably while providing reliable support for your muscles in any position.